Welcome to Middlesex Online Research Ethics (MORE)
*******UPDATE JULY 2021*********
If you are working outside England, please check the requirements for the location where your research is to be conducted.
It is still safer to collect data using indirect means of contact such as the phone, online surveys or video-conferencing*. Some individuals may not feel ready to resume contact with others as lockdown restrictions are lifted and researchers need to be mindful of the effects of covid-19 and/or lockdown on individuals' emotional well-being, and this should be recognised in the research design and mitigated against to support participants.
You will need to consider the data protection requirements for your research with human participants and how to manage this using indirect means of contact (e.g, by phone, online surveys or video-conferencing facilities) and ensure the following are completed accurately;
- Ethics Application Form
- Participant Information/Consent Form (see MyLearning Middlesex Online Research Ethics area sections 4, 5 and 7)*
* Further information on data protection is provided in section 5, and guidance on using online systems for research can be found in section 7. We've also provided guidance on how to create anonymous online surveys, and online participant form and consent form templates in Qualtrics for you in section 4.
If you are a supervisor please check your student's application to ensure it follows the government's latest position on coronavirus: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
If you are a REC reviewer undertaking a review of current, future new or modified applications please check applications to ensure they comply with the government's latest requirements and advice on coronavirus: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Wishing you all good health
To log in please click on 'Log in' on the top right hand corner. Please log into the system using your Middlesex University ID (e.g., F.Bloggs@mdx.ac.uk for staff, and ABC1234@live.mdx.ac.uk for students) and Password.
- A short title for your project should consist of key words e.g., "Poverty and Crime, Qualitative, Social" or "Changes in Banking Regs, Existing Data, Finance"
- The Help menu found at the top left of the page will also provide useful guidance information.
- Students should complete this form in consultation with their supervisors.
- **** NEW *** A checklist for supervisors and reviewers can be found in the Templates in the HELP menu above, and on the MyLearning Middlesex Online Research Ethics area http://mdx.mrooms.net/course/view.php?id=12277 (Log in required)
- Please do not commence data collection until you receive an email and attachment stating that you have approval
- Remember to SAVE your application as you go. This will not submit your application, but it will avoid work being lost should the system time out after 90 minutes inactivity.
- If you need help please email MOREsupport@mdx.ac.uk
- User guides and video guides for the MORE system, templates for consent forms etc and further information to help you with research ethical issues can be found on MyLearning moodle course page: Middlesex Online Research Ethics http://mdx.mrooms.net/course/view.php?id=12277 (Log in required)
Please note: The Middlesex University Code of Practice for Research must be followed by staff, students and visitors. Allegations of Research Misconduct as defined in the Code of Practice for Research will be follow the procedure as outlined in the Code of Practice for Researchers. (A copy of the Code or Practice can be downloaded from 'Templates' under the Help menu.)